As a victim of violent crime, you have the right to apply for compensation from the Criminal Injuries and Compensation Authority (CICA). Therefore, if you’ve been injured by a violent crime, you may be eligible to bring a claim for compensation. If you have sustained a criminal injury our team of expert Personal Injury Solicitors can make a claim for compensation on your behalf.

 An assault or criminal injury can also result in psychological injuries as well as physical injuries. At Matt Rowland Solicitors we believe that where you have been a victim of a criminal injury or assault, the right  course of action is to make a claim for compensation.  Whilst we know that compensation may not resolve all the effects of an assault or criminal injury, we believe that it would assist you and your loved ones in getting your life back on track.

Is there a Time limits for bringing a CICA claim?

You may be eligible to bring a claim for compensation within two years of the crime or assault provided that you have also reported the crime to the Police as soon as it occurred

Because CICA claims have strict time limits, we would urge you to bring your claim within the two-year time limit as there are very limited circumstances on when the time limit will be extended by the Criminal Injuries and Compensation Authority.

You can bring a CICA Claim irrespective of whether the offender or accused has been caught however there are other rules that can affect you getting a compensation in this circumstances as the burden falls on the person presenting the claim to provide evidence. If however your case has gone to court and the offender has been convicted of the offense against you, the court may also order them to pay you some compensation and we can assist in the recovery of this sum from the offender.

 If you would prefer a court ordered compensation, then you must inform the court at the time of the trial and present evidence of your loss. Note however that the court will only ever award compensation limited to what the offender can afford. For example, where an offender is being sent to Prison for a period of time and has no evidence of financial income, the court will not be able to award compensation.

How will I pay my legal fees?

At Matt Rowland Solicitors we believe that everyone should have access to justice when they have sustained an injury through no fault of their own. That’s why most of our personal injury cases are handled on a No Win No Fee basis. Call us today and start your claim. We offer free 30 minutes consultations.



BOLTON OFFICE TEL 1: 01204 214 266

BOLTON OFFICE TEL 2: 01204 350 804


Share This